Thursday, September 3, 2009

Get this...

I inherited the worst class in the whole elementary school...and I LOVE them to death! The old second grade teacher kept telling me things this week about them, saying all sorts of stuff like "yeah I wanted to tell you, but they said you wouldn't come if I did...." I already had a parent complaint and it wasn't even the kids' father, it was "a male relative" and I had the fabulous opportunity to set things straight about how I ran my classroom. All the specials teachers keep telling me how they know I'm going to need extra support and love... so you'd think I had Satan's spawn in my class, and do I? Nope, I just have some very active, talkative boys.... boys I'm ready to whip into shape! I've already seen a difference in their behavior from the first day to the fourth day. I love a challenge! My goal is to have them working as the best behaved class by the end of the year... it shouldn't be too hard.

I also had my first blunder yesterday. I have this boy in my class and he's new. He didn't talk at all on the first day so I told the ELL teacher I wanted to have him tested along with three other students. Well he started talking the second day alright... in perfect English. Only I would send my one american student to ELL class. The ELL teacher thought it was the funniest thing ever and now the whole faculty does too! Oh well, it is pretty funny once you think about it. I sent the kid who grew up in LA to be tested to see if he could speak English.

Lots of Love!

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. lol, you crack me up Sarah. Thanks for sharing ;) Can you tell us a little about the culture there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This class should be old hat for you. You loved your inner city kids with all their challenges, a few talkers won't get you down. The right teacher is on the job.

    ReplyDelete